Nerves Never Go Away

Photo Credit: Elephant Journal


As we age, we anticipate that our nerves will diminish or even fade away as we become more and more masterful at our craft, that someday we will wake up and stop shaking uncontrollably when we audition, speak in front of a large group of people, direct a show, or sing a solo.

Unfortunately, my friends, no matter how high or low the stakes are.... most of us still have to manage our nerves, even when we are 2, 3, 4+ decade-veterans of our craft.

The nerves never go away. We only figure out how to better manage them.

Knowing that is unlikely that our anxiety-like symptoms will completely disappear as performers, we need to make space for it and figure out what works best for us. Here are some strategies that have worked well for me:

  • I have a bad habit of trying to get a bunch of chores done before I go anywhere and then I end up rushing to a place I need to be. On audition or singing night, I trick myself into believing that my calltime is an hour earlier than it actually is. Therefore, I arrive early and calm.
  • I tend to get really shaky and thus, really cold, before an audition or before I have to sing in front of a large audience. This happens 99.99% of the time. So I bring cardigans. Multiple cardigans and don't change into my audition wear or recital wear until the absolute last second. If I'm in my comfy sweater and leggings, I am more relaxed, and also, warm. When I put that dress on, it means it's game time.
  • I get chatty when I'm nervous. Since voice is my primary instrument, this is not necessarily a good thing- it wears on my instrument right before I need to use it. So I seclude myself to a quiet corner, usually with a book. It may communicate stand-offishness to other folks but it is what I need to do for my nerves and for my voice. I am happy to chat after I'm done singing.
  • When I get on a stage, I do not sing until I am absolutely ready. Paradoxically, if I wait too long to indicate I'm ready to the pianist, I just build up more anxious energy instead of dissipating it. Thus, I usually take the time to take two slow nose breaths (slows down your thoughts and your breath) and I'm good to go.
  • I remind myself that I love the act of singing. That it physically feels good to sing. That I am singing for myself and no one else. This tends to keep me grounded... literally.  

Y'all, I still obsessively check my email or phone for responses to auditions after the fact, even when I likely know the result, good, bad, or otherwise. It still takes me a solid 30 minutes to come down off of performer anxiety and back to baseline.

Will there be times when your performance-anxiety sabotages something for you? Yes. Will it be frustrating? Yes, of course. But you will figure out how to manage it, even if it takes several years. Ask yourself the following questions:

  1. At what precise moment do I begin to get nervous?
  2. What are the physical manifestations of my nerves? (i.e. shakes, sweating)
  3. How long do the nerves last?
  4. Do I use any techniques to regulate my breathing? If so, are they effective?
  5. Did I practice speaking my introduction prior to the audition? Did I practice what it would feel like to walk into the room with poise and confidence?
  6. Did I remember to be a human being? (What I mean by this is that the judges love humanity. They're not interested in a perfect robot with perfect technique. Respond to their questions with your awesome personality).

Comment below with your tried and true techniques!

Comments

Popular Posts